In an effort to assist members in achieving continuous improvement in their facilities, all of our members can now apply for the Excellence Tier on a voluntary basis. The new process is more customized and allows members to showcase the areas in which they excel. As facilities strive to go above and beyond, this new standard will encourage members to share their stories of exceptional EHS&S efforts.
Previously, Excellence Tier applications were based solely on the company’s ChemStewards metrics. The new process allows members to write essays about their EHS&S efforts, as well as include their own company metrics for consideration in the judging process. Members can also demonstrate their improvement in moving from lagging indicators to leading indicators, which will focus more on future safety performance and continuous improvement.
To be eligible for the ChemStewards Excellence Tier, a facility must:
- Complete all requirements for Tier II certification.
- Describe how your facility has exhibited continuous improvement over two or more years in each category: Environmental, Personal Health and Safety, Process Safety. A facility may provide one or more areas of improvement under each category.
- Must be either tiered under the Department of Homeland Security’s Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards (CFATS) or perform SOCMA's Site Vulnerability Assessment (SVA).
- Must not be subject to a process safety-specific Chemical Safety Board recommendation.
- Must not be delinquent on ChemStewards obligations.
ChemStewards members can fill out the new Tier III application, which is located in the ChemStewards Portal, beginning April 1, and the deadline for submissions is May 31.
Excellence Tier facilities will be acknowledged with a plaque and highlighted within SOCMA and ChemStewards publications and social media platforms.
Please contact the ChemStewards team if you have questions or would like more information.