SOCMA’s Chemical Operator Training (COT) Manual serves as a great resource for guidance of systems, practices and processes. If your facility is required to be certified under Process Safety Management (PSM), the COT assists you with OSHA compliance.
Your plant operators play a vital role in the overall safety and performance of your operation. This affects not only your personal safety and the safety of your co-workers, but can also affect the safety of your family and the surrounding community. Help ensure your operators are trained properly to minimize risk!
- No customization necessary - Adaptable to your facility
- Use as is, or use to supplement your own in-house training program
- Each chapter includes a lesson plan, PowerPoint presentation for students, and self-assessment test (with answer key)
- Excellent resource for both new and experienced operators
- Chapter 1 – Basic Safety – Hazardous Substances: common industrial hazards, acids and caustics, flammable, explosive and radioactive hazards, solvents, dusts and gases, and metallic substances.
- Chapter 2 – Basic Skills 1: mathematics, chemistry and energy conversion.
- Chapter 3 – Process Safety Management: process safety management, EPA risk management program and SOCMA’s Chemstewards program.
- Chapter 4 – Basic Skills 2: properties, pressure, temperature and heat, vapor and liquid properties.
- Chapter 5 – Unit Operations: heat and material balances, latent and sensible heat, heat transfer and determination of a process.
- Chapter 6 – Plant Economics: introduction to plant economics, fixed and variable costs, cost variances, cost management-teamwork, and role of operations.
- Chapter 7 – Environmental Operations: overview of environmental operations, benefits of environmental compliance and the chemical industry.
- Chapter 8 – Reactor Systems: chemical reactions, reactants and products, solid liquid and gas/vapor phases, endothermic and exothermic reactions, controlling reactions, other physical processes, types of reactors, reactor design considerations and structural form.
- Chapter 9 – Reactor Operation: reactor system operation, normal operation, normal shutdown, temporary operations, emergency operations or unusual start-up, and operator maintenance.
- Chapter 10 – Plant Equipment: overview, piping, valves, pumps, troubleshooting pumps, equipment inspection, plant drawings/ diagrams.
- Chapter 11 – Utilities: air, water, categories of water use, electricity, inert gas blanketing, and steam.
- Chapter 12 – Reactor Auxiliary Equipment: raw materials handling equipment, heat exchangers, separation equipment, distillation columns, and vacuum systems.
- Chapter 13 – Control Systems: closed loop concept and open loop concept.
- Chapter 14 – OSHA Safety Compliance: chemical regulations, plant process regulations and operator regulations.
- Chapter 15 – Formulation: brief introduction to formulated chemicals with a specific focus on AgChem.
COST | Printed/Downloadable PDF Version
SOCMA Members: Free to download chapters (PDF files) online or $350 to mail a hard copy; free annual updates
Non-members: $1,995 for materials PER FACILITY
Academic Institutions should contact email@example.com for pricing.
QUESTIONS? Email ChemStewards at firstname.lastname@example.org.