SOCMA Announces 2012 Leadership Conference
Event Held in Conjunction with Annual Industry Golf Tournament
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 8, 2012
Manager, Public Relations & Media
Washington, DC –At the urging of member companies, The Society of Chemical Manufacturers and Affiliates (SOCMA) is hosting an executive-level Leadership Conference featuring discussions on hot topics facing specialty chemical manufacturers, as well as organizational challenges facing corporate leaders. The event will be held in conjunction with SOCMA’s 9th Annual Chemical Industry Golf Tournament, September 25-27, 2012, in Cambridge, MD.
“SOCMA previously held a Corporate Excellence Conference each year which was very popular among our members,” said SOCMA President and CEO Lawrence D. Sloan. “We decided to bring the event back in conjunction with our annual golf tournament to offer chemical executives the opportunity to network, share best practices, learn from industry experts and enjoy a round of golf, all at one event.”
The Conference program features:
- Brian Beaulieu, executive director of the Institute for Trend Research, who will discuss key macro-economic trends and specialty chemical industry customer market segment indicators.
- Jay Timmons, president of the National Association of Manufacturers, will provide an update on the 2012 presidential and congressional elections and the implications for the manufacturing sector.
- Jim Harris, president of TAHL, on empowering leaders at any level of an organization.
- Bill Wince, vice president of Chesapeake Energy, and Bob Greco, director of the American Petroleum Institute, who will discuss energy market trends.
- Larry Drumm, president of Biotechnology International Corporation, and Scott Martin, vice president of Fine Chemistry at Albemarle, who will talk about technical developments in bio-materials and economic implications for the industry.
- Richard Jackson of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, who will discuss how global aging will transform the economy in the 21st Century.
SOCMA’s Leadership Conference begins with a welcome reception and speed-networking event on September 25. Other events include a SOCMA CONNECT grassroots breakfast and a dinner recognizing winners of the golf tournament, which benefits the American Chemical Society Scholars Program. For more information on the event, click here.
SOCMA is the only U.S.-based trade association dedicated solely to the batch, custom and specialty chemical industry. Since 1921, we have represented a diverse membership of small, medium and large chemical companies, making us the leading authority on this sector. SOCMA has a global membership of 220 companies, which employ more than 46,000 workers in the U.S. alone. The value of the products and services provided by SOCMA members is $24 billion, and the industry’s impact on the U.S. GDP is upwards of $2.9 trillion. For more information on our services and products, please visit www.socma.com.
ChemStewards® is SOCMA’s flagship environmental, health, safety and security (EHS&S) continuous performance improvement program. ChemStewards was created from industry’s commitment to reducing our environmental footprint. Industry created ChemStewards to meet the unique needs of the batch custom, and specialty chemical industry. As a mandatory requirement for SOCMA members engaged in the manufacturing or handling of chemicals, ChemStewards is helping participants reach for superior EHS&S performance. To learn more visit www.chemstewards.com.